12 December 2008

AMF: Evil Scrabble

Today is Friday, and I don't know about you folks, but I'm stoked for the weekend. I may actually do some writing this weekend - most excellent!

First to politics. Jimmy Carter is still a worthless asshole, while Nikolas Sarkozy is still a totally awesome badass. What's the difference between Jimmy Carter and Nicolas Sarkozy? Simple: people like Nicolas Sarkozy.

There are three stories out of the Islamic world that are worth posting. Some are claiming that the Hajj makes Muslims more tolerant - interesting. I suppose it worked with Malcolm X; at least, I think it did, but I didn't actually see all of the movie. Iran has whined to Pakistan for not returning the bodies of hostages who were killed by Jundallah. Beyond being surprised that Jundallah pulled a raid this summer and I didn't even hear about it, I find it very interesting that Iran's so pissy about hostages, seeing as how they're so eager to take hostages themselves. Also, Michael Totten has a new article - it's brief, and Totten is one of the two best independent journalists working today.

It looks as if things may be changing in Afghanistan in the coming months. One or two of you may have read my article from yesterday. Well, most of NATO is still sitting on their hands, but I've heard rumblings in the news that the Brits might send more troops, the DoD is sending more troops (Guardian, Times), and Italy is sending five hundred additional troops to Herat province. Herat isn't a particularly Taliban-heavy province like Helmand or Kandahar provinces are, but I'll take five hundred additional troops to be a good thing.

Today's video is... Well, if you like Scrabble and have a Nintendo DS, have a look for yourself.



Now that's the Scrabble I'd like to play. Yesterday's most hilarious article, other than the headline Georgia Middle School Staff in Trouble Over Inflatable Mattress Sex, is about a Japanese inventor who has invented himself a girlfriend. If it were me, though, I would have spent less time programming her to slap, and more time programming her to cook.

I've been listening to the so-called "Voice of Justice" from Radio Iran quite a bit this week - it's not bad to go to sleep to, because it fades in and out with sort of a rhythm, and I'm asleep by the time the radio turns itself off automatically. Anyway, I was looking up the "Voice of Justice" on the web the other day, and I came across some guy's blog post about it, which led me to investigate something I'd never heard of until I went through the comments: Transnistria. No clue where it is? It's part of Moldova, bordering on the Ukraine, that claims to be an independent nation. We're all familiar with South Ossetia and Abkhazia. Some of you may have read the article by Michael Totten that I linked to discussing Nagorno-Karabakh in Armenia/Azerbaijan. Some of you may have even heard of the Crimea in the Ukraine - there was a war there and everything! As Totten pointed out in his article, the Russians (during the Soviet era) arranged their holdings and played their cards so that if the Soviet Union ever fell apart, the Russians could still keep the nations on their periphery weak and conflicted. Transnistria, anyone?

Oh, and here's a bonus video to wrap today's post up. Remember "Samuel Jackson Lager" from the Chappelle Show? I happily present the Samuel Jackson GPS!



You know, watching that last clip reminds me of a certain sketch from SNL starring Norm MacDonald as Burt Reynolds, and Samuel Jackson as himself...

Stage Assistant: Burt Reynolds, Pulp Fiction screen test, take four.
Reynolds: Y'know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in Paris, France?
Jackson: They don't call it a quarter pounder with cheese?
Reynolds: No... No, They call it a Royale with cheese. Baha!
Jackson: Royale with cheese... So how about a Big Mac?
Reynolds: Well, a Big Mac, that's a... That’s a Big Mac. Course they call it le Big mac, 'cause, y'know, they're French.
Jackson: "Le Big Mac"... (chuckles)
Reynolds: (laughs)
Jackson: So what do they call a Whopper?
Reynolds: (coughs) Quentin, ah, this whole picture about burgers, or... ?

Priceless! Have a great weekend, folks! Check back on Monday! Great success!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home