15 May 2009

AMF: This Week Sucked, Plus U-Boats!

I've had such a horrible week. Really. This week's outrages:

  • spent two grand fixing my truck
  • got a graduation announcement from an ex-girlfriend who should have left well enough alone
  • apparently installed some drivers that preclude my external hard drive from working
  • last night was completely wasted in a meeting, during which my presence was completely extraneous

    I wasn't going to bother with an AMF post at all, but somebody's posted some episodes of Frasier online that haven't been yanked yet, so I'm watching one. So, I guess I'll put something together. Maybe it will be therapeutic.

    Today's satellite picture, which was supposed to be yesterday's satellite picture, is the old U-boat pen at La Rochelle. This site was featured in Das Boot and Raiders of the Lost Ark. There's a picture of it here, and more information about La Rochelle can be found here. When I was in high school and thought that I was destined to be a submarine officer in the Navy, I had a fascination with World War II US Navy submarines and U-boats. One of my favorite websites at the time was Uboat.net, and I read a book called Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner. One of the most interesting stories on that website is about the Laconia Incident, in which a U-boat that was attempting to rescue some victims of a ship sinking was attacked by Allied forces, and leading to an order by the German Kriegsmarine commander that U-boats would no longer make rescues. Very interesting stuff.

    Ehhhh. I guess I don't want to overdo it, so I'll leave you folks with a Friday video: "Got Your Number" by Barats and Bereta.



    Thank God it's the weekend.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home