13 May 2009

Samuel Jackson, Pirate King

Does anyone else notice that the price of a barrel of oil is inching up, the exchange rates are inching down, and nobody in the news media has bothered to mention it?

The Fly is having sort of a rough week - again, just the way Trebek's mother likes it. There were some highlights last night, but I still wound up going to bed far too late, and I slept poorly, so I'm a little bit out of sorts today. And, as I'm writing this, Blogger is down for maintenance. Wankers. At any rate, I don't have a whole lot of time to write, but there are a few items I've been collecting over the last few days.

  • Hezbollah spy thriller grips Arab world (Guardian), Lebanon arrests two more 'spies' (BBC), Did U.S. help Lebanon crack alleged Israeli spy rings? (Haaretz)
  • A disabled major in the British Army walked and completed the London Marathon in seven days on crutches, having been told a year ago that he'd never walk again. He has a bigger pair than anyone reading or writing this blog - even Father Time. Basically, if you were whining about something, he's proven that you need to stop.
  • Somalia: Samuel L Jackson to play pirate negotiator Andrew Mwangura (Guardian) - the jokes one could make out of this story are endless. Also from Somalia: Report: Somali pirates(!) are selecting their targets with help of informants in Britain. (Fox, Guardian)
  • History is not Barack Obama's strong suit (Times) - I could have told them that.
  • Following up on AMF from last week, two more installments from Michael Yon with the British Army in Borneo: one, two.
  • From the BBC, a really cool popup picture of an ancient Persian citadel in Qom, Iran.
  • For you Star Trek fans out there: USS Kelvin wallpaper, Intel's Star Trek Shipyard, and Wired.com's Danger Room blog has a half-assed, ignorant military analysis of the film. To be honest with you, the new Enterprise is cool, but I thought the Kelvin (the ship from the first ten minutes of the movie) was even cooler.

    I've also found three new military/equipment websites that will eventually go up in the sidebar: Grunt's View, UK Kit Monster, and Captain Moggy.

    Today's satellite picture is the Casablanca harbor in Morocco. Today's "video" is L'Arena by Ennio Morricone, as featured in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill vol. 2.



    And that's it for today. Assuming the world doesn't collapse beneath my feet again today, I may finally be able to discuss some projects I've been working on (as I've intended to do for the last to weeks) and my new home furnishings in tomorrow's post. Until then, stay out of trouble.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home