08 May 2009

AMF: Tracking in Borneo

Friday. Sweet, sweet Friday. I'm going to start things off with today's video: another gem from Stephen Crowder.



Here are a few of the stories I picked up yesterday.

  • U.N. Watchdog: Weapons Grade Uranium Found in Egypt (AP) - Fantastic, just what we needed.
  • Launch protocols for US missile system among sensitive data found on second hand computers (BBC) - Fantastic, just what we needed.
  • Chance discovery dates important Egyptian burial site 1,000 years earlier than first thought (BBC) - Interesting.

    My favorite article from yesterday was one from the AP that I saw on Fox: Meet Saudi Arabia's 'Miss Beautiful Morals' Contestants. Apparently, the entire basis of the contest is judging young women based upon how obedient they are to their parents, and how well they generally follow Islamic morals. I'm critical of many Islamic morals, I don't follow them myself, but to be quite honest with you, I think the underlying basis of this whole thing is fantastic. Beauty pageants are artificial and boring, and all of the women look exactly the same, and I know for a fact that none of the women on stage would ever give me the time of day if I met them in real life - not even Miss Congeniality. I think that a pageant that celebrates who women are as people is a fantastic idea, and though I'm skeptical as to whether or not such a pageant would have any legitimacy in Saudi Arabia, I think the basis for it is fantastic. There, I've complimented Saudi Arabia. Maybe someday I'll even find something to agree with President Obama on.

    One of the websites I'm always hawking is that of milblogger Michael Yon. He's spent the last several weeks observing British troops in a tracking class on Borneo Island, mainly in the tiny nation of Brunei. His dispatches have been excellent, and today I'm sharing them with you for your reading enjoyment. As he posts more, I'll link to them, but for those of you who have the time and the attention to pay to it, here are parts one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen. Just so that you can check it out if you're so inclined, today's satellite picture is Brunei. That's right, folks: the entire country of Brunei. That's how awesome AMF is.

    And that's it! Week's over, time for yours truly to relax for a couple of days. Enjoy your break, folks. Check back on Monday.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home