16 June 2009

Van Diemen's Station Revealed

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Tuesday. First, bullet points.

  • AP: Jimmy Carter is a moron - That's not the actual title of the article, but seriously, what makes Jimmy Carter think that Israeli settlers give a damn what his addle-minded, anti-Semitic old ass thinks about their settlements? I really wish that guy would shut up and stay on his peanut farm. Oh, wait, he can't - if he feels the need to "make peace", he can make peace with the swamp rabbits.
  • CNN: Biden expresses 'doubts' [about Iranian elections] - Way to go, Joe. That's some great thinkin', kiddo.
  • CNN: Al Qaeda fighters move into Horn of Africa, officials say - Um, yeah, those same officials have been saying that for years. This isn't news.
  • BBC: Gaddafi no-show angers Italians - That Crazy Uncle Moammar, he's all class.
  • Guardian: Emerald Isle plots green revolution - Good, let them do it, and we can all watch while it crashes and burns and doesn't accomplish jack. Then, if it works, we'll have a laboratory example to look at so we'll know what worked, and what failed miserably.
  • AFP: Hell of Afghanistan brought home to British troops - This one's a follow-up on this story that I posted last week.
  • AFP: Chinese sub smashes US destroyer's sonar: report - Very, very interesting.
  • CNN: Recycled homes, one box at a time - Special thanks to Mrs. Mike Nelson for sending me this article about shipping containers that are converted into lost-cost recyclable housing.
  • Press TV: Rigi tells all about Jundullah - Iranian media has a story, which I think is likely a fake, that claims to be an interview with the brother of Jundallah founder Abdulmalek Rigi. There are a few spots in particular that indicate that the brother, Abdulhamed Rigi, was at least coached, and more likely either coerced, or else the "interview" was flat out fabricated.
  • Michael Totten: An Enemy of the World - Michael Totten, to whom I sent a donation today, has a great article about the situation in Iran, and he's been doing some excellent blog posts that are keeping track of goings-on in Iran, and their historical context.
  • Wired.com Danger Room: Although I'm less and less impressed with the journalistic integrity, objectivity, and intellectual rigor of this blog with each passing day, they have had some interesting and, at times, insightful posts about the situation in Iran. Their posts over the last two or three days are a good supplement to Michael Totten's recent writings on the subject.

    I plan to put together a post and/or article about Iran in the next couple of days, but it probably won't be for tomorrow. We'll see what happens. Okay, on with the show.

    Alright, I've been promising for months that once I got some posters up, I'd post a few pictures of Van Diemen's Station, also known as the Fly Cave. I got posters up, and the place was relatively tidy on Sunday, so here are a few pictures.

    Here's the dining room, complete with my dining room table, compliments of Aunt Jo shortly after I moved to Old Dominion. It's decorated with a 1995 world map by National Geographic - a bit outdated, but it works.

    Behold, the kitchen. I don't have my Pinups for Vets or Hot for Words calendars up on the fridge at the moment, but you can see my poster of Mark Twain (a contemporary of Father Time's) playing billiards, and my rice cooker and countertop grill by Breville, the former of which has been used about thrice, and the latter of which has kept me alive for about three years.

    Here's the first shot of the living room, where you can see my papasan chair and ottoman, my gladius, my U2 album covers poster, compliments of Gus and St. Jen., and my coffee table, originally owned by Chops. In the foreground, you can see my second papasan footstool, covered by a saddle blanket. Seriously, my place is practically schizophrenic when it comes to artistic and cultural influences, but it still has less than my parents' cabin!

    And, finally, here's the other view of the living room. You can't see my Green Eggs and Hammocks Xchair, but you can see my new rug and floor cushions, my LoveSac, and my POÄNG chair. Pretty sweet, huh?

    Alright, folks, that's it for today. Check in tomorrow for Beer Run: June '09. Awesome! Have a great day!
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home