02 July 2005

"Judas"

19 April 2002
Original: 10 April 2002

Lyrics

I was reading at U2MoL (Meaning of Lyrics)... The song is about Judas Iscariot, the man wo betrayed Jesus. It's written from his perspective. I've thought sporadically about Judas, who I'd say is one of the most simple, and yet, most confusing figures in the Bible. I've heard legends that somehow, Judas' hell supposedly burns hotter than the hell that the rest of the fallen endure. I've often wondered if Judas may actually be in Heaven; he was a believer, used as an instrument of God's will.

Sometimes the realizations of my life come when I'm least paying attention. I've heard the song "Louder Than The Mob" by the Supertones dozens of times. "I know I'm just another Judas, kiss your face as I drive the nail through your hand." It took listening to U2, and feeling Bono's description of the close friendship of two people... It took that image of Jesus and Judas, laughing together, eating together, spending their time together in ministry, persecution, pain, and joy... I thought to myself last week, as I'd been listening to the song and was parking at school, reaching into my console to stash my stereo face, that maybe Jesus let Judas into Heaven; after all, Jesus knew Judas intimately: they were friends.

And that's when the realization hit me. I've no doubt that many others have had it before me, but my realization of it sticks: what difference is there between Judas and I? There's none. While Jesus may have been more physically intimate with judas, He knows me just as well. Judas knew what was coming; I know what's happened. And I have no reason to believe that when I saw an opportunity to benefit, I wouldn't sell him out just the same. It do it with my life every day.

As much as I'd like to identify with Moses, or Peter, or Paul, I must be honest with myself and admit that I identify more with Judas than any of those. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing is that, if we're honest with ourselves, we all identify more with the other figures in the Bible than we do with Jesus.

*


I wrote that a few years ago, and aside from not including the entirety of the lyrics, I've left it unchanged. Looking back, it looks a bit depressing in its outlook; it was originally written a couple of weeks after the incident with Magdalena and a couple of weeks before my Navy career came to an abrupt end.

I still hold the sentiment, though; and I think that most of Jesus' followers did as well. I don't believe that people like Paul, or James, or John, believed that they were somehow righteous; they merely understood that it was their own sinful nature that condemned them, and Jesus' grace that redeemed them.

I betray myself and my God with my life every day, and yet, for some reason, He continues to love me. I can't quite fathom it, but I'm absolutely grateful for it. In that way, Christianity is like Alcoholics Anonymous: the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home