10 December 2005

Friday Night Running

I should really be spending this time on the good computer at work sending in resumes and working on getting my ass employed. Instead, I'll take a few minutes and write up some of my experiences over the last couple of days.

Yesterday I had to be at work at 07:30 in order to make a run up to Metropolis and arrive by 09:00. The girl at receiving, whose age was not much different than my own, gave me attitude when I arrived; I asked how long they'd take to process the parcel I'd brought, and I was told it would take about two hours. With two hours to kill, and twenty bucks for lunch, I took the company vehicle and cruised around, quickly finding one of the major malls in the Metropolis area. I wound up walking around for about an hour and a half, which included going in a shop with prints, one or two with exotic gifts, and Borders. I had a lunch that consisted of a slice of cheese pizza from Sbarro (sausage wasn't out for another hour or so) and a smoothie from Orange Julius.

I made one more run to one end of the mall, and was getting ready to leave when a woman asked me if I worked at the mall; I was, after all, wearing a dress shirt and slacks. I told her that I didn't, but asked if I could help her; she asked where the Victoria's Secret store was, and I told her that it was at the other end of the mall, but that I didn't have anything to do, so I'd walk down there with her. She told me that her granddaughter (whose age was not mentioned; I'd guess high school aged, maybe older from the age of the lady) had a birthday on the twelfth, and always asked her grandmother for a gift certificate from Victoria's Secret so that she could buy new underwear. After a few minutes, we reached the store and parted company, and I returned to the company vehicle.

Upon arrival back at the aforementioned facility, I was greeted by someone else. He told me that, in spite of the fact that I'd arrived shortly before they hit the two hour mark, it appeared that they'd still have at least half an hour or more ahead of them. I asked him if there was an employee lounge or something where I could sit and do some reading; he remarked that there wasn't, but that there was a Starbucks nearby where I could go. He saw my NROTC shooting team jacket (yes, I'm a trained killer, don't mess with me) and asked if I was in; I said that I wasn't anymore, but that I had been, and that I hoped to get a job in intelligence analysis. He proceeded to spend at least twenty minutes telling me about his thirty years in the Navy. Eventually, he released me, and I found that Starbucks in a Barnes and Noble store. I trolled around Barnes and Noble without buying anything, and then bought a bottle of Jones Soda and hit the road.

When I arrived at the car, I called to make sure they were finally done with the necessary processing, and since they were, I went to pick up the parcel. The girl gave me attitude again, even claiming that she wasn't allowed to supply me with something that basically amounts to a paper towel in our line of work. Eventually I got out of the facility, and was on my way home.

I got things squared away back at work, and was on my way. After a brief stop at home, I trucked it on over to College City to paint pottery with M@; he finished up his teapot, and I did a 007-themed 4"x4" tile. Following that, M@ and I went out to the [Generic University] men's crew facility and worked out, as he's on the team and I enjoy thinking that I'm in good physical shape. After that, and a brief stop at a local merchant's shop, we went to a wicked sweet (yes, I said it, wicked sweet) Chinese restaurant.

I arrived home to meet a friend from high school, who's been wanting to meet Jack. After we'd played with him for a few minutes, we sat for a while and got caught up, as we hadn't seen each other since August or September or so. Once I sent her home, I was in bed pretty soon thereafter.

Today I was awake early, but got myself back to sleep and didn't wake up until just before 08:00. This was slightly problematic, as I had to take care of Jack (who must have pissed in his kennel mere minutes before I arrived to let him out) and return the vehicle key to work that I accidentally walked with yesterday after I got back to base; I was supposed to meet up with Father Time at 09:00, but it wound up being a bit later than that.

Father Time and I had two missions today: to visit a monastery that's about an hour away, and to visit an aviation museum that's also about an hour away.

The monastary, which Father Time didn't even know existed until today, was our first stop. Father Time has a desire to become better acquainted with gothic architecture and buildings, and the gorgeous church at the monastery was a good first step. We went to the gift shop, where I picked up a couple of items, and then we were back on the road.

After at least another hour on the road, we got to the museum, and cruised through; there was far too much there to see during the time we had available, but among other things, we saw an SR-71 Blackbird, a UH-1, an SH-2 Seasprite, a couple of P-51 Mustangs, an F4U Corsair, an F-4 Phantom, an A-4 Skyhawk, and others. It was a good time.

Once we were done, we made the long haul back to Hometown, and then I got ready for work, and here I am. I have a party for the Socratic Society tonight, and then I'll be home and ready to enjoy my Saturday off.

So, that's my excuse for barely posting during the last two days. I promise, it'll pick up tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home