15 December 2005

Greetings from Around the World

So far, I've gotten three Christmas cards. Now, several people have held back, knowing my feelngs on the issue; however, I can tolerate them, and even appreciate them when they arrive. Here's a rundown of what I've gotten so far.

Last Thursday or Friday, I got the first one from Big and Mrs. Red. It's a picture card of them at the White House. It says "Rejoice, a King is Born" and "Merry Christmas, God Bless, Mrs. and Big Red".

The second arrived on Tuesday from the United Kingdom. At first, I wasn't sure who it was from. It turned out that it was from an old man named Bob, whose house I passed every day on my way to work. He's a bachelor and lives with his brother, Jack; you could tell that he didn't get much company, so it was nice to brighten his day with a five minute visit every morning. I've been meaning to find last year's Christmas card from him and write him a letter for a while now, so the timing is great.

The third came from Pete, one of the guys I worked with in England. Interestingly enough, it came the day after Bob's; Pete lived closer to the office than I did, but he and I shared about half of my route to work, including the portion that included Bob's house. It wasn't uncommon for me to stop at Bob's house, and for Pete to show up while Bob and I were talking before continuing the rest of the walk with me. The interesting thing about Pete is that he's obsessed with the Supermarine Spitfire, the mainstay of the Royal Air Force during World War II. He sent me a couple of pictures from air shows he's been to this year, including at least one of a formation of Spitfires. On the back of the photo, Pete has written what model numbers the various aircraft are.

I, of course, side with C.S. Lewis/Herodotus on the whole subject of Exmas cards; but it still feels good to get a yearly note from Peter and Bob, and it shows me that Big and Mrs. Red care about what's going on in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home