13 December 2005

Impersonating Manda

No, I won't be answering the "Twelve Pack in Twelve Minutes Challenge". It's time to whine about work.

I'm on call this week, having enjoyed a great week off call last week, and having earned some money from that trip up to Metropolis. I went back on call yesterday afternoon at 17:00, and will be on call tonight and most of the weekend. I got a call out this morning at 06:30; not a problem, I was back home around 08:15, and it will increase my gross income by $47 for the month.

I got a call from one of my co-workers at about 11:15; please keep in mind that I'm not on call from 08:00 to 17:00 today, and that I had made plans last Friday to meet up with Big Red for Chinese buffet at 13:45. My co-worker asked me what I was doing at that moment, and I responded truthfully: at that moment, I wasn't doing anything. He explained the situation: another company from four or five hours away had a vehicle that had broken down in the mountains, and someone was needed to drive about an hour away in order to pick up their parcel and deliver it to its destination. It was time to pay a professional courtesy, and in spite of the fact that I wasn't on call, I had been drafted.

Now, I hope that Young Nathan is reading this.

I beat cheeks down to work and got rolling as soon as I could, disgruntled the entire time. I did everything in my power to get up there and back before my lunch appointment with Big Red, but alas, the fog, the idiot Californian, and the rocket scientist mechanics at the garage where I met up with the folks from the other side of the mountain prevented me from doing so. Final parcel delivery time: just before 14:00. Final arrival at the Chinese restaurant: about 14:15.

I'm on call again at 17:00, which is less than an hour away. Once this is posted, I'll make a head call, take a shower, shave and brush my teeth, and then head down to work to E-Mail more resumes, then down to the coffee shop to work on writing letters and reading. As you all know, I'll need all the overtime I can get this month, so I can't complain too loudly; but this mythical obligation for me to come in and work at a moment's notice when I'm not on call is getting mighty old.

More later. Oh, and if your name is Manda and you're reading this, the "Twelve Pack in Twelve Minutes Challenge" thing was a joke. We both know you could drink me under the table in spite of the fact that you're half my size. That's talent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home