10 January 2008

It's No-Topic Thursday! Booyeah!

Unfortunately, today turned out to be a fairly trying day, particularly early in the morning. As such, I'm not yet willing to say that 2008 has settled out. I attempted to write out a response to Chazza, but it's going to have to wait because I don't give myself more than about half an hour before I'm in bed - Chazza deserves better than a rushed response from yours truly. Thus, here are a few brief things.

I'm encouraged by the state of the economy. I know everyone's wetting themselves, people (including Goldman Sachs) are predicting a recession in the new year, and I honestly don't see it. Oil's still higher than it ought to be, but the World Bank is predicting a consistent decline in oil prices over the next two years. After months and months, the exchange rate is slowly dropping, and it's currently at its lowest in months and months at $1.96 for £1, or £0.51 for $1 - and that's actually rounding up, the actual numbers are actually solidly £0.511, and $1.956 respectively. Are there issues? Of course, but there are always issues. Our economy, I believe, is showing its versatility and its resilience, and if these trends continue over the coming months (and there's no reason to believe that they won't, hopefully coupled with a stabilization of the correcting and recorrecting of the stock markets), along with continued success in Iraq, then President Bush goes down in history as a successful president. He does. And that's a good thing, and it's something that some of us have been predicting for years now.

I was going to write up something about YouTube subscriptions, but I'm going to skip it for now. I want to post one news story, though, because it's just too funny. A Polish man found his wife working in a brothel. No, he didn't meet her when they were both working there; no, he went there for sex, to discover that she was working there. Just when you get to thinking, "What's she doing there!", you come back and say, "Wait a second, what's he doing there!" Observe the following conversation I had over E-Mail with a friend:

The Fly: [link]
Awkward

---

Sorority_Superstar: What was the man doing in the brothel??

---

The Fly: That's half of what made it awkward.

---

Sorority_Superstar: hahah

The other news worth reporting? I mentioned in this post that the Marines were looking to retask and refit and go to Afghanistan. Well, it looks as if it's going to happen, and as I said in that first post, I think it's a great idea. The Marine Corps is well suited by doctrine and ethos to engage in the kind of work needed to defeat the Taliban - it's a good fit.

Check back on Friday, folks - maybe today will start the redemption process for 2008. That's it for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home