27 February 2008

Mittwoch Geposten

I'm going to try to keep this brief. Sixteen hours without an operational computer really showed me how much time I sink into this thing. Yikes.

Long-time readers of TSTF will know that I've been Anglican for several years now, and that I ditched the Episcopal Church when it went fully crazy in 2003. Judging from one of the YouTube channels I've subscribed to, maybe there's hope for the Episcopal Church yet. Here's Father Matthew Moretz; how "The Amazing Atheist" can be under the "Related Videos" header, I don't know, but go ahead and have a look.



Somewhat encouraging, and quite educational. If the Episcopal Church doesn't figure itself out and get its act together, an all out Anglican war may be looming on the horizon. Since there's such a tight control on citizen-owned artillery here in the States (and even worse in England - I'm against Howitzer control) that we orthodox Anglicans may have to reach back into hallowed antiquity and "get creative" with the old standby: siege weapons, and specifically Trebuchets.

When I was at [Generic State University], Super Dave kept talking about building a scale model of a trebuchet. He built a tiny one, similar to this one; but we always wanted to build a big one, and it just never came together. It's amazing that there are so many other methods. Another friend from university, who we'll call The Wine Wench (trust me, she'll think it's hilarious) sent me this link, which chronicles the construction of a trebuchet... -esque creation made largely from an industrial robotic arm. Awesome. One of my favorite web comics had a comic about trebuchets a couple of weeks ago. Also, back in Hometown, I have a used book about two guys who built a catapult - technically not the same as a trebuchet, but that's beside the point. (For the record, it's a French word and it's pronounced "treh-byu-shay", not "treh-byu-chet".)

Interestingly enough, and incorporating both paragraphs, there's actually a patron saint of artillery and military engineers: Saint Barbara! Artillerymen still celebrate Saint Barbara's Day every year in early December.

Remember, folks: if your church goes so crazy that parishes and dioceses start seceding in protest, constructing a siege engine capable of inflicting colossal property damage with large stones is an option that should remain on the table. Whoever said that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones did not own a trebuchet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home