18 November 2008

News Flash: Van Wilder Grows Mullet!

I think that this week's got the makings. Here's some news.

The French police have arrested Van Wilder. Okay, maybe not, but go look at the guy's picture. Doesn't the guy look like Ryan Reynolds with a mullet and an earring?

There are a few articles on military topics today - I know, color me surprised. Danger Room has a piece on recent indications that the Army might be seriously considering transitioning away from the M16/M4 - a good move if you ask me, as this weapon system always reminds me of that phrase about what was used to pave the road to Hell. There's a new David Isenberg article from UPI about private security contractors in Iraq. There's also another interesting UPI article about Crazy Uncle Muammar's Eastern European arms shopping spree, something that I discussed last week.

I talked last week about the discovery of Uranium at the alleged Syrian nuclear facility that the Israelis bombed in 2007. The Syrians claim to be shocked at some claims - not surprising. According to Mohammed al Baradei, head of the IAEA, the nuclear evidence 'is not damning' - unfortunately for al Baradei, his own admission that the Uranium found in Syria isn't enriched Uranium points to North Korean assistance, as the Yongbyon reactor uses natural Uranium to produce Plutonium. The Guardian has an interesting article about Syrian "President" Bashar al Assad, and I ran across an interesting blog post that offers a comparison between the Syrian and North Korean facilities.

There are a couple of stories in the realm of history, both of them reaching back to my experiences in college. In the Greek isles of the Aegean, they're planning to rebuild the legendary Colossus of Rhodes. In England, a new academic report claims that HMS Mary Rose was sunk by French cannon fire, and not by rough seas and wind as most historians have believed for centuries. If you're ever in Portsmouth, England, HMS Mary Rose and its accompanying museum are very much worth seeing.

Today's video is the music video for a country song that I can't stop listening to at the moment, "Suds in the Bucket" by Sara Evans.



Check in tomorrow for my latest article for my parallel writing endeavour, the posting of which will allow me to finish the article about Afghanistan that I'm currently writing. Have a great Tuesday, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home