14 April 2009

Not Great Success, Just Success

This is a report on my tech project for this weekend.

I already noted that ScanDisk chewed up twenty or so hours of my time on Friday and Saturday. If this hadn't happened, I might have come to my official end much quicker.

After trying two different PCI slots and screwing around with the operating system, the Ethernet card still doesn't work. For now, I'm giving up on that particular asset - it's an old computer, I don't plan to upgrade the operating system anyway, and I didn't really ever intend to take it online again. It would have been nice to have figured out how to network, and maybe I'll get it figured out at some point in the future, but for now it's just not worth the effort of continuing to try.

I worked the hard drive issue last night. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the stupid thing out, and it was far bigger than I had expected - much too large, for example, to fit into that hard drive enclosure that I purchased. I also attempted to use the enclosure, sans case, by hooking the wires up while the hard drive was still inside the tower, but the wires were too short and wouldn't twist the right way, and the remainder of the enclosure that they were attached to was too big to fit in the available room within the tower. I was about ready to beat someone down, and give up entirely, by the time I was actually able to get the hard drive out of the drive cage. It was this page that gave me the necessary clues to complete the task of getting it out. Now, once I got it out, it was still far too big for the enclosure, but I was at least able to get the wires from the enclosure to hook into it, and then get the whole thing set up in a sort of ugly fashion and connected to my current laptop. As I write this (Monday night), the old hard drive is transferring via the new laptop onto the new external hard drive, after which point I'll delete what I don't need and categorize the rest of it. Once that's all done, I'll do everything in my power to restore the old computer to its original state and then put it away for the time being - with the data backed up, I'm really in no hurry to get it all set up. Before I put it back together, there are a couple of things I'll transfer over (games).

So, I wouldn't call it great success, but modest success is better than total failure. If I'm lucky, the whole project will be done and cleaned up by nine tonight, and I can get some sleep and start tomorrow fresh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home