11 April 2009

Weekend Nerdery Project

I keep talking about projects. Last week, I got a lot done - a lot - and I don't intend for this weekend to be any different. One of the things that I accomplished last week, against my better judgment, was to buy some computer equipment. I got:

  • a horribly overpriced Ethernet cable - $29.99
  • Rocketfish 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure kit - $60.99

    A buddy at work was able to provide me with an Ethernet cable for free, so one of my missions for Saturday will be to return the horribly overpriced cable, still in its packaging. In addition to these two items, there are a few other things pictured.

  • my current laptop
  • my old computer, an HP Pavilion 6460, circa 1998
  • my first laptop, a HP Pavilion Notebook N3350, circa 2000
  • a Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card, circa 2000
  • a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 256MB flash drive, circa 2003
  • a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB flash drive, circa 2008
  • the August 2007 and January 2009 issues of Maxim Magazine, both of them featuring Hilary Duff - those have nothing to do with the project, they're just for show

    Hauling some of this crap out and setting it up brings back memories. The laptop was a gift from my family's business for graduation so that I could use it in college, and it got me through five years of college and more, particularly from July of '04 through to Summer of '05 when my desktop machine was inoperable. I bought the LNE100TX around the same time so that I could connect to the network at the fraternity house, which lasted for all of a week before I moved out. That was late Summer, early Autumn of 2000. It's Spring of 2009, and I literally just removed the shrink wrap. Most of my blog posts from December of 2004 to June or July of 2005 were written on the N3350, and most of the rest from then until July of '07 were written on the 6460. If I remember correctly, the Cruzer Mini was a Christmas gift from my grandparents for Christmas of 2003, and I'm pretty sure that it went to England with me.

    So, where am I going with this? Simple: I'm going to partially backup, and partially revitalize my old computer. In the process, I'm going to give myself a sort of partial crash course in computer hardware, which is something that I've had almost no experience with since around 1996 - the end of middle school. The only time I've really set up any hardware since I was in middle school, beyond just hooking a computer up, was back in August or September of 2007 when I set up my cable modem and Netgear WGR614 wireless router (pictured). I had to give myself a similar crash course in modern information technology with an emphasis on network security when I arrived here in Old Dominion, so this is sort of a continuation of that process. So, what exactly am I going to do?

  • I currently have the old computer up, running ScanDisk.
  • Once ScanDisk is complete, I'll run defrag.
  • Once both of these are done, I'll shut the thing down and install the Ethernet card.
  • After that, I'll probably move the router and cable modem into the bedroom so that the Ethernet cable will reach easier.
  • From there, I'll hopefully be able to network the two computers together through the router. Assuming I can get the systems networked, I should theoretically be able to share files back and forth, and back the necessary ones up.
  • Whether that works or not, I'll remove the hard drive from the old computer, install it into the USB enclosure kit, and hook it up to the new computer for virus scanning. Even if the Ethernet setup doesn't work, the hard drive kit should.
  • At some point, maybe this weekend, I'll purchase a 500GB USB hard drive for the purpose of backing up files from the 6460, the N3350, and my current system.

    This entire process, which should only take some time tonight and the bulk of Saturday, should get me familiarized with basic networking and basic hardware upgrades. That's an exceptionally good thing. Also, when all's said and done, I'll have some important and irreplaceable files and content backed up, and I'll be able to wipe that content off of my old hard drive and start using it as a platform for playing old computer games (and old Nintendo ROMs) that can't be played on a modern system. I'm pretty excited about that, ladies and gentlemen!

    So, I'll be working on that for the rest of the night, and most of tomorrow. It's a good weekend project for me, it will accomplish something that I need to do and that I've been meaning to do for months, and the Crypto King believes that it's within my level of capability. So, I'll probably report on that for Monday's post. If you're one of my friends on Facebook, I'll be updating a photo album throughout the weekend as I work on the project, step by step.

    Here I go...
  • 14 Comments:

    Blogger Printer Setup and Support said...

    I appreciate the information and advice you have shared.
    Thank You, For more information, visit our website.

    123.hp.com|| 123.hp.com/setup|| 123 HP Setup|| hp.com/setup|| hp.com/123|| 123.hp.com setup|| 123 HP Printer Setup|| 123 HP Printer Support|| 123 HP Setup and Install|| 123hpcom|| 123 HP Printer Install|| 123hpcomsetup|| 123 HP printer Wireless Setup|| 123 HP Install|| hpcom/123|| 123hpcominstall|| 123 HP Printer Guide|| 123 HP Smart App|| Install HP Printer|| HP 123 Setup Scanner

    10:37 AM  
    Blogger Ronaldo drogba said...

    A Tech Gadget lover…! Wanderlust of Nature by heart and a tech-savvy by habit.... I have written and reviewed blogs on many products. As a keen neophyte, I love to discover new Products and their plus points… Get in touch… Or drop in your queries.
    My blogs:
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku.com/link account
    www.Roku.com/link
    Roku com link
    Roku.com/link activation code

    9:19 AM  
    Blogger Alex Jones said...

    Nice Blog, Do you require an HP printer setup for your Mac system? There is an automatic printer installation method in some of the versions of the Mac operating system. The automatic installation of the printer will work for the newest models of the printer.visit the HP Officejet Pro 8600 setup

    5:35 AM  
    Blogger Ronaldo drogba said...

    A Tech Gadget lover…! Wanderlust of Nature by heart and a tech-savvy by habit.... I have written and reviewed blogs on many products. As a keen neophyte, I love to discover new Products and their plus points… Get in touch… Or drop in your queries.
    My blogs:
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link activate account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link code
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku com link
    Roku com link activate account
    Roku com link account
    Roku com link create account
    Roku com link setup
    Roku com link code
    Roku activation code

    6:16 AM  
    Blogger Ronaldo drogba said...

    Roku is one of the important trailblazers in the streaming world. It’s brand strength has attained vast development since its inception. Attach the Roku player or Roku streaming stick to the TV on the basis of given guidelines in the Roku website. It will be a world of good if you have the Roku device connected with the internet.
    Blogs:
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link activate account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link enter code
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku.com/link code
    activate Roku.com/link
    www.Roku.com/link
    Roku com link
    Roku com link create account
    Roku com link activate account
    Roku com link code
    Roku com link enter code
    Roku com link activate code
    Roku com link account
    Roku com link activate
    Roku com link activation
    Roku com link setup
    activate Roku com link
    activate Roku com link code

    5:49 AM  
    Blogger Robert Wilder said...

    Best Internet Plans for you depends on the available Internet providers in your area. So utilize your Zip code to figure out the customized Cheap Internet plans for your location. Consider your monthly budget and the devices you’re gonna use the Internet. Navigate to our web page or call us to know about the customized Internet plans for your needs!

    10:44 AM  
    Blogger greyhankin said...

    Roku Ultra has been quite a revelation in the field of streaming devices that have been released in recent years. The device is superior as it sounds to be. It supports 4K HDR feature and has advanced voice recognition so that you can search for your favorite content by just using your voice. There is also a night listening mode that makes you avoid unnecessary sounds while watching TV. The device is capable of launching applications such as Plex and a headphone jack is also provided for you to listen.
    For enquiries regarding the Roku com link activation , check our website.

    8:56 AM  
    Blogger 123hp Setup said...

    123.hp.com
    123.hp.com/setup
    hp.com/setup
    hp setup

    12:37 PM  
    Blogger Garmin GPS said...

    Do you want to activate your Garmin? I know the value of Garmin Map Update and keep reading good content about the same. I found this blog very informative and it increased my understanding about garmin update to a great extent. You can use Garmin Map to get Garmin lifetime maps update or call +1-888-309-0939 for instant help from Garmin GPS experts.

    7:00 AM  
    Blogger Garmin Nuvi said...

    I did not know the entire benefits of Garmin Nuvi Update. But since I have read this blog on map update, I have installed all available updates for my garmin device. I must say that this piece of blog has helped me improve navigation experience. I am not suggesting all my friends to read this blog and get Garmin map update with this team. For detailed information, you can contact us at toll-free number +1 888-309-0939 or write at info@garmingpsmapupdate.com. Our Garmin GPS professionals will provide instant help.

    1:50 PM  
    Blogger Roku-comlink said...

    If you are Useing the Roku device, it is essential that your Roku TV is always connected to the internet. And to provide you with a flawless streaming experience all the time. As you connect the Roku.com/link, it will just need a link code that shall be displayed on your television.

    1:27 PM  
    Blogger Streaming Device Setup said...

    Roku Activation

    At first, navigate to the Roku.com/link account using a web browser. In there, you must click the Sign in option. And now, you need to key in the credentials without any errors. And then click the login button. This logs in to the account, where you can add the channels, get a new link code, get hidden or private channels, etc. Only by using this account you can download and activate the channels. 

    Do you want to know how to activate Roku via roku.com/link? Then dial the toll-free number and communicate with our professional expert squad @ +1-820-300-0630. 

    4:42 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Many channels additionally furnish on-demand streaming content material that consists of TV shows, sports activities events, and movies. Those on-demand contents swaps in availability for which your mileage may vary. Fubo live TV free trial features like full subscription only. fubo live TV free trial

    12:03 PM  
    Blogger followme said...

    Your Content is amazing and I am glad to read them. Thanks for sharing the Blog.this blog is very helpful information for every one.
    english short

    1:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home