05 June 2009

AMF: The New Twice-Daily Routine

Hey, folks. Last night was a busy night, so let's start out with some bullet points.

  • US man returns ancient Jerusalem stone (BBC)
  • BBC, Times: Algerian named in Briton killing
  • A Guardian pictorial of American troops in Afghanistan; one includes a young soldier smoking a pipe, which I think is awesome.
  • From the Times: a poorly-written, rambling, incoherent article about military dining styles among various Afghan coalition nations
  • Michael Totten: A Tall Order for Saudi Arabia
  • Republished by Michael Totten: Advice for Barack Obama from Lebanon - An interesting read, and I didn't hear/read President Obama's much-hyped speech to Muslims, so I don't know whether or not he got the memo to reach out to Middle Eastern Christians, too.

    So, I've been incorporating something into my daily routine for the last few weeks, something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I figured I'd share it with you folks.

    For a number of years, I'd wanted to start reading the Bible on a daily basis, partly because I wanted to be able to say that I'd actually read the whole thing if challenged, and partly because I believe that one who reads and tries to meditate on the Bible on a daily basis will be better able to apply its wisdom and teachings to their life. During my final year of college, based in part on a very trying period of my life, I began by reading Job. Sometimes I'm able to keep it up, and sometimes I'm not, but for probably fifty or sixty percent of the last four years, I've read about one chapter per day. For a while before I left [Hometown], I was actually reading and re-reading a chapter per day, once in the morning, and once at night.

    The Anglican Church, an institution into which I was confirmed this past winter, uses a wonderful book called the Book of Common Prayer. There have been various revisions over the past several centuries, but the gist of it is that it contains the liturgy, the Psalms, a number of special prayers for particular circumstances, and a variety of other items. I've wanted to incorporate it into my day for quite a while, but I've never really bothered to do it.

    Lately, I've been bothering to do both, and I've thrown in some Arabic as well. Basically, what I've been doing most nights for the last several weeks is this:

  • fifty Arabic flash cards
  • a repeat of the morning's scripture reading
  • a reading from the Anglican Catechism (last night and this morning it's The Holy Scriptures), followed by several of the prayers, and then the Lord's Prayer

    In the morning, when I get up, I switch the order up. Once I'm done stumbling around, there are a couple of lights on, maybe I've crashed into the bathroom and relieved myself of the previous night's beer, and stumbled into the kitchen to take a swig of orange juice to stifle my morning gag reflex, I've been doing the following:

  • reading the next chapter of the Bible - with the Psalms, it's usually been two or three in a day
  • re-reading the Catechism entry from the previous night, then doing several of the prayers, then saying the Lord's Prayer
  • fifty Arabic flash cards

    It's been very nice, and I'm going to try to keep it up, at least for the time being. I take a break on weekends, but for the most part I'm able to start on Monday morning and carry it through to at least Friday morning - sometimes Friday night gets lost in the shuffle.

    I have two great videos for today to close things out.





    Anyway, that's enough for today. Have a fantastic Friday and an excellent weekend.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home