26 December 2004

Let's Get Sore

My ultimate goal, at least at this point in my life, is to serve a tour or two in the Navy as a commissioned officer. In order to do that, I have to get myself in shape. Lately I've been running through a workout program with a friend from school, Young Nathan. We're sort of gearing up for the full-blown workout plan: the BUD/S (Navy SEAL) Warning Order Workout. Category I is the first phase, and it's a progressive workout plan. Category II is tougher. I'm hoping to eventually finish out with the workout plan from the Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness by Stewart Smith, a former Navy lieutenant.

Young Nathan and I are going to try to do the calisthenics and running programs three days a week, and do the swimming with supplemental yomps twice a week. (For those of you who aren't familiar with the British military, a yomp is an endurance march with full rucksack in boots.) I may post every now and again if anything terribly interesting happens; by interesting, I probably mean "painful."

My ultimate goal is to be capable of doing about a hundred pushups in two minutes, a hundred situps in two minutes, eight to ten pullups, a mile and a half run in eleven minutes (I know, not very fast; trust me, this is a tall order), five hundred yards of swimming in nine minutes, and a yomp of four or five miles without stopping. My goals may get a bit more ambitious as the program progresses; the important part is having someone to be accountable to for working out, since I have a hard time marshalling the will power to do it on my own.

Who knows? Maybe I'll actually be worth looking at one of these days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home