31 July 2005

In Which Fly Demonstrates Wulfish Qualities

I'm sure that Lycan will get a kick out of this one. He'll think that I'm starting to display, without my even knowing it, my "inner wulf".

So, what's the story? Well, a friend of mine from school, who I had a class with a couple of years ago and have stayed friends with since. She's adorable, and an absolute sweetheart, and not dumb as a brick like half the women I've dated, but I have no chance whatsoever. Anyway, I saw her at the gym today, where she lifeguards at the pool. I was chatting with her on my way back to the locker room when I found out that I inadvertently facilitated the breakup between her and her (now) ex-boyfriend.

She (we'll call her Lisa for no apparent reason) and I got together for tea last December, before she left to study in Europe during Winter and Spring quarters. It was completely innocent, and she didn't even let me pay for her drink. She'd told her boyfriend that she was going out for coffee with a friend, and there was nothing that we did, in public, in a coffee house, directly across the street from campus, that could in any way be construed as her cheating. (She and I are both intelligent enough that if we had been having a dirty little affair, we wouldn't have done it in a location so public, and so close to campus; who am I, Vince Gill?)

Apparently one of the boyfriend's buddies walked by and saw us, called the boyfriend and told him, and the boyfriend called her at two in the morning and flipped out. As a result of this, she could instantly tell that he was the jealous type, that he was freaking out over nothing, and that he was the kind that was going to jump to conclusions. Things were pretty much over between Lisa and her boyfriend at that point.

She actually kind of thanked me.

As I explained to commentator April on instant messenger...

Fly: And of course, anyone getting jealous of or being intimidated by me is an absolute joke.
April: Guys should be jealous of you. You rule, remember?
Fly: I do rule, but guys can basically count on women not being able to figure that out, for one reason or another.

Just to reiterate... I rule, but not because of any involvement in the breakup of Lisa and her boyfriend. On that end, I'm just glad I could help Lisa, even if I didn't know about it for nearly eight months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home