20 February 2006

A Great Disturbance in the Mojo

Remember this post from last month? Also, has anyone seen this writeup of Star Wars: Episode 3 by Maddox?

Ladies and gentlemen, there has been a great disturbance in the Mojo, and like Yoda and Mace Windu, I was completely unable to detect it until it was too late, even though it included the mojo equivalent of a massive conspiracy between two hundred storm troopers and everyone in the entire Republic. Allow me to demonstrate by correcting an incomplete entry in the online dictionary.

dis·gust ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ds-gst)
tr.v. dis·gust·ed, dis·gust·ing, dis·gusts
1. To excite nausea or loathing in; sicken.
2. To offend the taste or moral sense of; repel.

n.
Profound aversion or repugnance excited by something offensive.

Fly's addition: Finding out that a close friend who you've had romantic feelings for since you were eleven years old has moved in with a man twice her age.

So various longtime readers of Thus Saith the Fly will remember occasional mention of a friend of mine known as The Lobster. They may also remember this post, in which I mused about the possibility of cutting The Lobster out of my life. Well, she called twice in October; the first call I answered with a text message, and the second call was quickly answered and dodged. I knew that she'd eventually call back, but I was ready to dodge it.

She waited until about two weeks ago to try to call me again; once again, I let it go to voice mail, and didn't answer. I figured I'd dodged out again for the time being.

One of the restaurants near my house is one of those Mongolian grills, where you put a bunch of raw ingredients in a bowl (with me it's usually noodles, chicken, beef, and not much else) and then hand it off to the cook, who grills it up on a big grill and then hands it back to you on a plate. I was up hanging out with April and Swill on Saturday night in Metropolis, and on my way back to Hometown I heard a phone starting to ring. April had accidentally dropped her phone in my car; this compelled her to come down to pick it up, and we went to the Mongolian place for some chow since I hadn't eaten since breakfast.

We walked in the door, and a guy waved at me. I looked, and recognized it as The Lobster's stepfather. Within a few seconds, the rest of the family, including The Lobster, emerged from behind the wall... Including the weird wannabe cowboy who had been at her graduation party back in June. Creepy? You bet. We said our polite hellos, and April and I got to a table as soon as possible. As luck would have it, The Lobster's step-sister came in behind us (we'd passed The Lobster as she and her family and the weird wannabe cowboy were leaving), and I was able to ask her the million dollar question:

"Is The Lobster dating that old guy?"

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention; the weird wannabe cowboy? White hair, white mustache. He's in his mid-forties, minimum. The unfortunate answer to my question from The Lobster's step-sister?

"Yes; in fact, I think she just moved in with him."

Apparently the guy's a photographer, and I think that I heard at the graduation party that The Lobster knows him from line dancing up in Capital City. The Lobster's dad disapproves to the point that he's no longer talking to her, and her mother is apparently cool with it and treating the guy really well; the step-sister said that she thinks it's because A) the guy's got money, and B) by approving, The Lobster's mother now gets to be the "good guy" in the constant struggle between divorced parents.

And me? I'm obviously worried about my former close friend, who's now dating a man twice her age. She would have been the first to critique me if I were dating a woman twice my age, or one several years my junior; so for her to be putting herself in a situation like this is highly worrisome.

With the number of great disturbances that the Mojo has been afflicted with in the last few months, I'm beginning to worry for its very existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home