06 May 2006

Friday Night

Well, I'm watching my second episode of Spooks of the night. I tossed the two pieces of chicken I had left, so my dinner at this point is a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout. There was no Fly Report this morning because I had an abnormally early mission. Tomorrow will be a normally scheduled day... Except that it's Saturday, I'm working, and there are already no Fly Reports on Saturdays.

The flat isn't completely set up; I finally have my DSL equipment, but I don't have the energy to set up DSL and my new computer on account of the combination of heat, an early morning, and at least a little hard work. However, I found the energy to do two things relating to money:

  • calculate my projected paycheck for the last two weeks
  • submit the required information for the rebate on my new computer

    The projected paycheck was causing me a bit of worry. Under my initial calculations, my paycheck was looking a bit tight; probably manageable, but tight. It was only later that I realized that I'd omitted something very, very important: my entire first work week, which was forty hours. Needless to say, the corrected projection was much closer to the "friendly" paycheck I'd been expecting; and who knows, maybe the taxes on it won't be as much as I'd figured in. As a rule of thumb, I've assumed about thirty percent of my paycheck will be taxed, but in the past I've had an accountant tell me that fifteen or twenty percent is more realistic; however, that's when I was making only $8.00 an hour, plus bonuses and a little bit of per diem overtime. At any rate, even assuming such heavy taxes, I'll still be making double in two weeks what I used to make in a month. I'll drink to that!

    I'll probably have at least a little bit of time off, two or three days maybe, coming in about a week, week and a half. I probably won't evacuate Barstow, just because I'd like to sort of live frugally for my first couple of months. However, I'll probably make a few minor purchass; for example, a pair of Crye Precision field pants, and possibly a copy of On War by Carl von Clausewitz. Eventually I'd like to buy a few more furnishings for my flat, but since I don't spend that much time here and I live alone, it's not exactly pressing.

    Well, I should probably close this up. I don't have to be at work early tomorrow, but I do have to be there (which is good, it means another big paycheck in a couple of weeks); today was an extremely early morning, so I think that I'm going to attempt to read, stretch out, and then have some quiet time before going to bed. I'll try to figure out something fun and exciting to post tomorrow.

    Thus saith the Fly.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home