14 January 2009

The Fly's Economic Stimulus Package

Last night, I read an E-Mail about veterans and their sacrifices that was sent to me by Sam-Wise - he's a bit forward-happy, but most of what he sends is worth looking at. For some reason, it got me thinking about the era in which the so-called "Greatest Generation" lived. These were the kids who grew up during the Great Depression, won World War II, and were largely responsible as the adults of the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's for turning out country into what it's become today. At the risk of offending Father Time, who's one of the better representatives of his generation, the "Baby Boomers" who were the children of the Greatest Generation had a decidedly poorer track record overall.

I was taught in high school that President Roosevelt - Franklin, not Theodore - pulled the United States out of the Great Depression through unprecedented deficit spending. I learned that it was this experimental approach that eventually pulled America out of the most dire of economic straits. It wasn't until after I graduated that I started learning the truth, as evidenced in this podcast from the Heritage Foundation and this book: that FDR was a corrupt and crooked communist in everything but name, and that the so-called "New Deal" was a spectacular and unmitigated failure.

It's difficult for me to watch today as our so-called leaders so colossally botch every single last aspect of their job of managing the complex and amazing machine that is the United States, but I get equally frustrated when I learn of past mistakes of the same type. As I've learned more about just how negligent - criminal, really - FDR and his cronies were in their management of this country during the horror that was his prolonged administration, I've become frustrated beyond my capacity to describe it: not quite despondent, but not far off.

Where am I going with all of this? Here's the thing: as I read that E-Mail from Sam-Wise, and it talked about the amazing sacrifices that the Greatest Generation made, I wondered to myself: What would have happened if it had been my generation, many of whom have severe behavioral and personality problems resulting from our lack of any comprehension of true want or need, who had been called upon to do what our grandparents or great-grandparents did? What about the Baby Boomers? What if the generation that led us to give up in Vietnam had been called upon to defeat fascism? Could it be that the deprivation that this generation suffered under the chronic negligence and corruption of FDR directly contributed not only to their work ethic and unprecedented success during the 1950's and 1960's, but also to the astonishing double-win of World War II?

To put it in perspective, a quote from the last chapter of Herodotus about the deprivation of the Persians and how it influenced their culture is appropriate. Keep in mind that this was written no later than the 420's BC.

It was the grandfather of the Artayctes, one Artembares by name, who suggested to the Persians a proposal which they readily embraced, and thus urged upon Cyrus:- "Since Jove," they said, "has overthrown Astyages, and given the rule to the Persians, and to thee chiefly, O Cyrus! come now, let us quit this land wherein we dwell - for it is a scant land and a rugged - and let us choose ourselves some other better country. Many such lie around us, some nearer, some further off: if we take one of these, men will admire us far more than they do now. Who that had the power would not so act? And when shall we have a fairer time than now, when we are lords of so many nations, and rule all Asia?" Then Cyrus, who did not greatly esteem the counsel, told them, - "they might do so, if they liked - but he warned them not to expect in that case to continue rulers, but to prepare for being ruled by others - soft countries gave birth to soft men - there was no region which produced very delightful fruits, and at the same time men of a warlike spirit." So the Persians departed with altered minds, confessing that Cyrus was wiser than they; and chose rather to dwell in a churlish land, and exercise lordship, than to cultivate plains, and be the slaves of others.
- Herodotus 9.122

It isn't tough to consider the impact that the deprived upbringing of young people in the 1930's had on economics in successive decades. It's also fairly easy to figure through the likely impact that the Depression had on subsequent social developments. However, despite having considered (and been taught) about the impact of the Depression on the Germans in World War II, I'd never considered what impact the Depression had on the American ability and resolve to win the war vis a vis the mindset of young men serving in the military and young women working in the factories. Any of you who are reading this are more than welcome to post your thoughts.

* * *

So, now that I've sort of passively written about the virtue of deprivation, I'm going to talk about my own semi-shallow pursuit of pointless material wealth. However, I sleep on a Cabela's Outfitter XL cot, my home furnishings are half cheap and half donated, and I don't use my heat, so I'd say that I make a pretty good effort at compensating. Moving right along...

When I wrote this post, I was watching the Sports Night 10th Anniversary boxed set, which includes less cast/crew commentary than I had originally expected. The set includes bonus discs for both seasons, though, so I'm looking forward to breaking those out and checking out the content. Hopefully, it will be worth the amount of money that I've now spent on this show since 2005: roughly $160.00 as it now stands, with two copies of the original box set, and now the enhanced box set that actually has some special features in it.

So far, out of the... Uh... Okay, let me check. Okay, so between Wednesday and Sunday, I ordered products from seven different sources, eight if you count that third party vendor through Amazon. One of those orders (the Amazon one) got turned into two shipments, so I've been expecting a total of eight shipments. One arrived Saturday, and one arrived yesterday, completing my order from Amazon. So... Okay, so I'm just going to make a list at this point.

  • From Amazon: Stikfas Safari woman and jungle cat, hockey player, and assault team (package one, delivered Saturday); Sports Night 10th Anniversary boxed set, Quantum of Solace (and other short stories) by Ian Fleming (package two, delivered yesterday) complete
  • From the Rooster Teeth store: Sarge beanie and Sarge shirt shipped
  • From Tad Gear: Molon Labe patch back ordered
  • Hot for Words 2009 calendar shipped
  • Chuck Buy More polo shirt and two Nerd Herd lanyards shipped
  • Gina Elise's Pin-Ups for Vets 2009 calendar no clue
  • Ranger Up My Carbon Footprint T-shirt no clue

    If you're still even reading this, you'll note that two of those read no clue. I received a notice through Yahoo! (which means that it was the shirt, I think) that said something had been shipped from Durham, North Carolina via USPS, but it didn't say what or from whom. How's that for lousy customer service? So I guess it's likely that I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation for that calendar yet, but that the non-descriptive E-Mail was from Ranger Up. So, out of a total of eight packages, two have been delivered, four are identified and en route, one is unidentified and en route, and one probably hasn't shipped yet. Believe it or not, writing and thinking through this has actually been interesting and envigorating for me - I love coordinating and organizing stuff like this, as silly as that may sound.

    I hope the rest of it arrives this week. Hmmmmm.

    I've also added a few items to the Stuff Fly Wants list, which will be published in a week or two. There are a number of changes, based partly on my recent shopping spree and partly on newly available products. Here's what I've added.

  • Sangean ANT-60 Short Wave Antenna - $17.95
  • Passport to World Band Radio, 2009 Edition by Lawrence Magne - $22.95 (Amazon price $15.61)
  • MI-5 Volume 6 - $79.98 (Amazon price $71.99)

    I'll start considering the purchase of these items once February rolls around, and then I'm probably all set for stuff and spending money for the next few months.

    * * *

    Today's Satellite Image: site of the Pharos of Alexandria, the ancient world's most famous lighthouse (more information here)
    Today's Video: Cast of Frasier parodies Star Trek: Voyager with Kate Mulgrew



    This post is more than sufficient, and highly indicative of my anal retentive and excessively analytical personality. Have a great Wednesday. Check back tomorrow.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home