13 January 2009

Ten Thousand Repetitions

There were plenty of most excellent distractions last night, and all of the days this week will be abnormally timed. I did a quick scan of the news yesterday, and came up with three stories worth bullet pointing, and another from '05 that I may have posted before but will post again nonetheless.

  • Iran uses front companies to flout US export ban
  • Somali Pirate's Body Washes Ashore With $153,000 - Oh, to be the wanker who found that body. Do any of you know what I could do with that kind of money?
  • Waiter Charged Over Arabic Chant at Jewish Wedding (unintentionally, but it's still worth the read for your entertainment)
  • In Libya, pages fade in once-touted Green Book - A piece on how Colonel Qaddhafi's "Green Book", which I've spoken of on previous occasions, hasn't turned out to be all he claimed of it.

    Today's video is the conclusion of Stikfas: War and Pieces



    Today's satellite image is the Hawthorne Army Depot, which is used by the Marine Corps and other groups for various types of training (in addition to storing munitions). Pictures of the Marines training at Hawthorne in early 2008 can be seen here.

    So far, from all the stuff that I've ordered, I've only received the Stikfas - surprising, since when I ordered my first set back in '07, they took for-freakin'-ever to arrive. I've gotten notices that a lot of it has been shipped, and a notice that my Molon Labe patch is on back order. Nothing arrived yesterday, so I assume that all of the stuff that's shipped should start absolutely crashing on the rental office at my apartment complex starting today. Good times.

    Okay, the last thing for today is a new blog project that I was recruited into by the Crypto King, AKA "Chops" apparently. I forget where he saw it, but he saw something where a guy did ten thousand repetitions of a particular skill - knife-drawing, I think - over the course of 2007, and then repeated it over the course of 2008. So we talked about it, he started an impromptu blog, and I got involved. Instead of drawing knives like him, I'm going to be studying Arabic in one way shape or form. Last night while I was soaking my feet, I was flipping through Arabic flash cards. I recognized and could read some of the stuff on the cards, but I think I've only ever seen some of those flash cards two or three times, one of those times being when they were made in the first place (which is probably pushing at least six months at this point). The words shouldn't be too tough to pick up as long as I do the flash cards repeatedly - say, fifty a night or so. I need to make some more of them, but I think the relevant point here is that the accountability of being involved in a blog about it (and having the Crypto King bugging me online) should be a good catalyst to actually get me to study. You can go check the blog out here. I probably won't update it as often as I update TSTF, but check back there every few days to check on our progress. It sounds like he's going to try to recruit some other guys, too. Will this be the next Internet blog sensation? We'll see.

    Alright, folks, check back in tomorrow for my latest submission to the parallel writing endeavour. For now, have a great day!
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger chops said...

    Next internet sensation? Maybe I should put some ads up, then.

    4:55 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home