19 May 2009

Beer Run: May 2009

Let's start with today's video: Spricket24's 2012: The End of the World.



I'm not sure I agree with her claims of the level of sophistication of the Mayans, but she's entertaining and funny as always. Here are a few pieces of news from the last few days.

  • I don't know about American news outlets, but one of last week's big stories in the UK was a US Army soldier who was photographed fighting the Taliban in pink boxer shorts. (Guardian, Times)
  • Despite recent claims by Russia in April that operations in Chechnya had concluded, they keep suffering attacks, to include a suicide blast last week that killed three Russian security personnel.
  • There was a great picture last week of the Space Shuttle Atlantis silhoutted on the sun.
  • The Guardian has a pictorial of Michaelangelo's painting of The Torment of Saint Anthony - worth checking out, particularly if you like art. Mighty Mo, I'm looking at you.
  • The British are struggling to resupply their troops in Afghanistan, and the US Army has suffered its oldest fatality in Iraq. Everyone should read that article about the oldest fatality - the guy was a damned hero stretching all the way back to his two tours in Vietnam(!).
  • Cracked: Don't Listen to Jenny McCarthy
  • Michael Totten: Brace for a Hezbollah Victory

    I hate spending money. Yesterday I spent money to send a couple of gifts back to the West Coast, pay a couple of bills, and send a letter to the Sub-Matriarch (luckily, that last one only required a stamp). Then, I went grocery shopping and, wouldn't you know it, it was tme to buy beer. That's a rather expensive endeavour right there, but it will last me a while. So, I've decided to add my periodic beer purchases, tied to my special system (described previously), as a new feature on the blog. So, at the moment, I have:

  • Honey Moon (by the Blue Moon Brewing Company)
  • Widmer Hefeweizen (by Widmer Brothers Brewery)
  • Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier (by Samuel Adams/Boston Beer Company
  • Landshark Lager (by Margaritaville Brewing Company) (Apparently I'm the only one who's actually enjoyed this one.)
  • Harp Lager (by Guinness/Diageo Ireland)
  • Guinness Stout (by Guinness/Diageo Ireland)

    As I probably mentioned in that previous post (the one where I discussed my beer method), I always get a sixer of Guinness Stout, and I have three or four regulars that I always get, rotating between Widmer Hef, Harp Lager, Killian's Irish Red, and maybe a couple others. I usually get one type or another from Sam Adams, as their beers are both delicious and varied - when I do this every six or eight weeks, I can always get a sixer of something from Sam Adams, and I can go three or four times without repeating the same type of beer, and they'll all be good. From there, I'm usually left with one, maybe two open spots out of six, and I tend to experiment, often based upon recommendations from friends. It's turned out to be a good system for me: it combines my love of beer with my anal retentiveness. If Mighty Mo did a sort of "Mo Report" every day, that last line would be her random quote for tomorrow.

    Anyway, I desperately need to get going for my first yomp in months, so that's it for today. Tonight may wind up being fully loaded, so don't be surprised if I don't have a chance to write anything other than a Fly Report until Thursday. Have a fantastic day, folks.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home