18 May 2009

Wherein the Fly Designs a New Website

On Saturday and Sunday, I noted a number of projects I intend to work on in the near future. Over the years, I've learned that I'm generally successful if I focus on one project at a time. If I'm working on a single, large project, I do best when I split it up into smaller tasks. Given that I also tend to be a glutton for punishment, I've decided that the next project that I focus on should be the project that's most directly tied to that malfunctioning external hard drive of mine: a new webpage and archive. It also has the benefit of being one of the cheaper projects on the list, as it requires nothing but current equipment (minus the hard drive - I'm substituting the four gigabyte flash drive that the project started on in the first place, with doubts that the project will come anywhere close to even two gigabytes in size). The majority of the project involves me downloading files, and screwing around with HTML to make the menus.

The final product will be divided into four sections: About [Fly], Collected Writings, Interests, and my infamous Literature Archive. I'm not sure what the final work sequence will be, but I've decided to start on the About [Fly] section. So far, I've nearly completed two pieces of that. The planned sections of About [Fly] are as follows:

  • Biography
  • Resume`
  • Reading List
  • Links
  • Stuff Fly Wants

    So far, and thanks to a friend who I sent the original SFW file to before the hard drive went tango uniform (who was able to then send it back), I've completed the SFW and Links sections. All I need to complete with respect to those two is to reconcile the SFW document with last month's list to make sure I'm not missing anything. The next page I'll work on is reconstituting the original index page that will point to all of the other sections.

    The next section will be my writings, most of which will be compiling of old writings (articles, research papers) and constructing the index pages. This one could wind up being the last element of the project that I work on, as it could require me to get back into the hard drive of my old computer if the external doesn't come back to life at some point. Eventually, I plan to move this blog to the new website, possibly to include archives of the last four and a half years. I'm not sure how that's going to work, either. What follows are the sections I'm planning.

  • Blog
  • Old Articles
  • Research Papers
  • Tactical Decision Games

    I also plan to put together a number of pages with links and writing regarding a number of my personal interests. This is pretty self-explanatory, and will include the following sections, if not more.

  • Anglicanism/Faith, Religion, and Philosophy
  • Arabic
  • Embalming
  • Geography/Satellite Imagery
  • Guns
  • History
  • Network Security
  • Photography
  • Shipping Container Housing
  • Shortwave Radio
  • U2

    As I get some of those written, sections of links will come out of that aforementioned Links page. I may have to compose these pages piecemeal as I have the time, but most of them shouldn't be that big of a hassle - network security, for example, will be mostly links.

    For those of you who don't know, what started in my third year at university as a project to give archived ancient literature to friends who were graduating from high school and college grew to become an impressive archive of ancient and miscellaneous literature, that I actually made some money on when selling the CDs. I eventually tied it all together using a simple HTML menu system. It worked, but for the last several years I've thought that I could not only improve it, but add to it. I'll spare you all a detailed list of the documents that I plan to include, but I won't spare you a short list.

  • American History - brand new, haven't started, won't be extensive but it'll get the highlights (Constitution, Declaration, Federalist Papers)
  • Classics - expansion of the original project with a few new authors
  • Military Topics - brand new, covering selected field manuals, military classics, FMSO products, military laws and treaties, and OpFor literature
  • Religious History - brand new, will include documents from Christian, pseudo-Christian, Judaic, and Islamic history
  • World History/Literature - nearly brand new, this will include European, Middle Eastern, and a number of other miscellaneous documents

    I'll also have another webpage in that section in which people will find links to various free literature websites. That's a legacy from my old website, as well as the archive CD.

    So, for the time being, this will be my primary project. Assuming that all things go as planned tomorrow (which they almost never do), I may have a secondary project starting tomorrow. Also, I'm going to be continuing my Arabic studies. I know what you're asking yourself, folks: "Didn't you just say that you're best when you only do one thing at a time?" Well, with the exception of possibly combining that second project with the Arabic, I'll only be focusing on one of these at any given moment, but the main focus will be the website and not the other bits.

    So... More on this as it develops. In the mean time, have a great day, and check back this week for updates.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home