20 March 2005

Intervention

I've not commented on the Terri Schiavo case, but I've commented on a couple of message boards, and I saw this article about the Congress preparing to intervene, thus violating the sovereignty of the State of Florida.

I think that the situation with Mrs. Schiavo is obviously very unfortunate. I also think that it is time for her parents to let her go. Mrs. Schiavo has been a vegetable for more than half of my life. She has made no discernible recovery. As far as I'm concerned, Mrs. Schiavo died about fifteen years ago; her body just hasn't caught on yet.

We have the addtional issue of Florida law. Mrs. Schiavo's family has taken her husband through every possible legal proceeding, and Mr. Schiavo has won on every single occasion. As her husband, he has the right to make medical decisions for her, and that right has already been suspended for fifteen years. Now Congress is getting involved in an issue that has already been determined by legitimate due process. Nevermind the fact that this isn't an interstate issue (interstate issues being the jurisdiction of the federal government).

If Congress intervenes to "save" a woman who has no legitimate hope of recovery, in the interest of "protecting life", I will be very disappointed. I think those who compare this to the issue of abortion (which I am absolutely against) or euthenasia (which I am absolutely against) are no different than those who compare "gay rights" to the Civil Rights Movement. I think the comparisons are ridiculous.

Anyway, the point of this all is that I think Mrs. Schiavo's parents should accept the fact that their daughter is not going to recover, and recognize that there is no redemption in keeping the empty shell of her body functional indefinitely.

Think I'm right? Think I'm wrong? Weigh in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home