13 March 2007

Return of the Fly

Deployment is almost over, and things are calming down at work, so I thought I'd post a quick note to update you folks on a few things.

Without going into specific details, I've started applying for jobs. I've said from the beginning that I wanted to be in my current job for anywhere from a year to two years, so the right time to start looking is right before the one year mark. It's about a month and a half until I'll have been at my job for one year, so I'm getting started with the knowledge that it was about six months of searching before I finally got the one call-back that landed me this job. In other words, I'm hedging my bets by starting early. Some of the possibilities I'm looking at are domestic, and some are overseas; an ideal would be to get a middle management defense contracting position in Wyoming, preferably something dealing with intelligence or training, but I don't think anything like that actually exists.

Once I get back to Zoo Station, given some recent changes at work that provide me with a more consistent schedule, I've decided to put together a physical training regimen. One of my goals for this year is to complete the BUD/S Warning Order, a workout program designed to start people on the path to qualifying for the Navy SEALs. Part of the problem is that I always want to incorporate running (which I'm terrible at), and another part of the problem is that I've never once had an opportunity to check out what the hours and facilities are like at the pool on post. My plan at this point is to modify the program a bit: I'll completely ignore the run for starters, replacing it with a ruck march. As the intensity of the workout increases, I'll increase the standard weight in either my ALICE pack or my Echo Pack, as well as the duration. I'll probably try to do four to five days of swimming per week, two or three alternating days of yomping (ruck marching in buts and utility trousers), and two or three alternating days of calisthenics. If anyone is reading this and wants to keep me accountable, I'd gladly welcome it... Particularly if my accountability source is Mo-Licious, whose method of accountability will include loving ridicule and chicanery.

I'm almost finished with Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. I'm not sure what I'll read when it's finished; what I am sure of is that it feels good to be reading after finishing books at a snail's pace when I was in college.

Also, I'll be very glad to resume my Fly Reports upon my return, read affectionately every day by you, my beloved audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home