05 December 2007

Three Years Running

No suggestions? Not one? None of you wankers took it upon yourselves to post even a single comment about something you've enjoyed from the last three years? Who am I writing this blog for, myself?

Oh, yeah. Alright, carry on.

Anyway, today is the third anniversary of the inaugural post here at Thus Saith the Fly, and in celebration I have decided to present a top-ten list: my top ten favorite posts from the last three years. Do any of you remember these?

  • TSTF Goes Online - The first post was on 05th December 2004. I have no idea why it's in such a small typeset. Not surprisingly, my first post was acknowledging that I was too busy to post - I think that must have been either dead week or finals week. I was inspired to start blogging by such great sites as Free Will, and such now-pathetic blogs as the one which will remain nameless.

  • A Semi-Valiant Effort - This was my first long article-like post. This happened to be about the European Union's decision to form "battle groups". I thought it was a bad idea then, and I still do; and in fact, former SecDef Rumsfeld agreed with me.

  • Eliminating the Mirror - In February of 2005, I mused about the possibility of dumping my girlfriend. I was very cryptic about it. The fallout from this relationship continued to haunt me for a long time, but I finally got closure on it during the late Summer of 2006. In August of 2007, I officially changed her blog alias from "The Mirror" to "The Whore". May she be hit by a double-decker bus - in God's mercy.

  • A Big Oily Mess - One of my longest posts to date (if not the longest). This post was turned into a two part article for an independent college newspaper. Most of what I had to say remains pertinent and accurate to this day.

  • Academy Award Stifler - This post was actually inspired by a radio station commercial in which a James Earl Jones impersonator announced an Academy Award for Best Picture for Dude, Where's My Car? - a really funny movie if you give it a chance. In it, I detailed a future in which Seann William Scott receives a lifetime achievement award for his contributions to film comedy.

  • Jeremy Gets Hired - After recounting an episode from Sports Night, I put myself in Jeremy's shoes and imagined an interview with then-CIA Director Porter Goss.

  • The Fly Report Debut - Having encountered several severe setbacks with women, and while continuing to seek my first post-college job, I decided in October of 2005 to start a sort of daily status report. The Fly Report has been suspended on a few occasions, such as when I've moved and when I've deployed for work. Originally a daily post, I soon decided to take weekends off; aside from that, the original Fly Report is remarkably similar to the Fly Report I posted just this morning.

  • The Epic of Bo Pi - In March of 2006, I was compelled to do a creative rewrite of the Song of Solomon - not for the sake of blasphemy, but for the sake of... Well, in the long run, I guess I'm not sure. The point is that it was eight straight days of me professing my love - gee, I wonder how that turned out?

  • Duck Hunt Goes Global - This was the article that got me a writing gig - pro bono for now, but a good opportunity for the future. This article was about ballistic missile defense, and has since inspired articles about a wide variety of security matters. Outstanding!

  • Gone/Escape from the Mojave Tour - These were the two posts that preceded my two moves: first from Hometown to California, and then from California to Virginia. Both represented huge changes in my life, and both have represented huge changes to the way that I blog. Here we are, about nineteen months and several thousand miles later - amazing that this blog has lasted so long.

    It's been a great ride so far, and I intend to continue well into the future - stay tuned for that. In the mean time, have a great day, and check back tomorrow for more news and miscellaneous chicanery from me, the Fly.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home